Sunday, November 4, 2007

Poor Website Designs

The website I read about poor website designs was interesting to look at because it makes me wonder how people create such crazy designs. Some of the design issues I saw made my head spin because of all the colors or graphics going on at the time. This website relates to our class because the author of the page is trying to show how to make a webpage as user friendly as possible. His main goal for this webpage is to show that websites are supposed to be made for the user, not the creator. I feel like this is an important point because some designers went nuts on their website design and you can't even tell what the website is about until you spend an hour looking at it. One page that I thought was a horribly designed webpage was the Accept Jesus, Forever Forgive. That was probably the trippiest webpage I have ever seen. With its rainbow colored, animated dove flying, holy music background, I thought I was about to go insane. With this website in mind, I think the key priciples for designing a webpage would be to design it for the user, and more importantly, apply the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid). A website does not need huge bold colored letters, or flying animals, or background music to attract a user. If anything, that distracts him/her from the real purpose of using the website. Keeping it simple will also help focus on the user and will solve a lot of your problems in the long run.

No comments: