Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Classmates Blogs

I really like reading Ezra's blog because he applied the design concept we have been talking about in class to his real life. He talked about how his dad fought him overing wearing a bike helmet vs. a hard-core skating helmet. Ezra didn't want to wear the bike helmet because it didn't look at cool as the skater one and they both provided the same protection. Its funny to read his blog because nobody wants to ever wear the dorky bike helmet. My question would be why do designers not all make the average "bike helmet" look more like a skating helmet? Why design a helmet that people prefer not to wear?

Another blog I liked was Kelsey's blog because she tied in marketing with design. I have always been interested in marketing, but I never realized that design was a part of the marketing process. I like the aspect of marketing and I might look more into it as a possible career for the future.

The last blog I really liked Kate's blog. I thought it was a great example of how design can be too complicated. The fact that the lights were difficult to find in the first place was one of many problems Kate and her family experienced while they spent the night in the hotel. Also, how you have to hit the light several times to make it brighter was interesting because how would you know to hit it more times. Most lights involve a simple switch or a twisty type knob that forces you to adjust the lights that way. I just think that her whole situation is a perfect reason why designers should strive to make products as simple as possible.

Ezra's Blog
Kelsey's Blog
Kate's Blog

No comments: